Most American diets are seriously deficient in Omega 3 fatty acids and doctors continuously advocate the use of fish oil supplements in one form or another, to counteract the effects of ailments such as arthritis, high cholesterol and blood pressure problems. In 2009 a study at Harvard University declared Omega 3 deficient diets as the 6th in line in the leading causes of death in the United States. No wonder it has become the world’s best selling, number one natural nutritional supplement prescribed for powerful healing of chronic conditions and for maintaining flexible joints and overall good health.
The Omega 3 fatty acids found in certain oily varieties of fish is well documented to have a positive impact on the brain, the eyes, the cardiovascular system and the skin. Proven benefits from the inclusion of Omega 3 fatty acids supplements in the diet in the following conditions is well known:
– inflammation of the joints in arthritis;
– raise good HDL cholesterol and lower bad HDL cholesterol;
– balance blood sugar levels and insulin levels in diabetic conditions;
– improve blood circulation;
– reduce triglycerides;
– improve high blood pressure by keeping artery walls flexible.
Cod fish oil was first discovered in England when it was noticed that an oily substance oozed from the discarded innards of the fish. Enterprising persons collected this oil, bottled it and sold it as Cod Liver Oil, which became a miracle cure for arthritis. Cod is now almost extinct from over fishing and alternative sources for omega 3 fatty acids is now harvested from the livers of many other marine fish.
The Omega 3 fatty acids found in calamari, (also known as squid) oil is especially rich in DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). When needed, DHA can be converted to EPA in the body, but EPA cannot be converted into DHA, which is one of the reasons why the Omega 3 in marine fish oil is particularly beneficial.
Good reasons for getting your Omega 3 from calamari oil:
• Eco Friendly – over fishing has reduced the fish population and a real risk is that some species may become extinct. Finding alternative sources for the ever-increasing demand for fish products, and especially an Eco-friendly source of Omega 3 for supplements, has become critical.
This is where calamari oil comes to the rescue:
• Calamari has a short life cycle, reproduce very quickly and are not an endangered species, and therefore does not add to the fishing quota. The method used for fishing calamari does not have an impact on the coral reefs or on the ocean floor as the majority is done by local fishermen in small fishing boats, which are regularly monitored.
• Not all fish oil brands on the market have the same healing properties and almost none are ocean-friendly. There is a real risk that larger fish and their oil are contaminated by mercury and heavy metals due to acid rain, even though labels claim that products are free from such contamination. This has forced the industry to turn to harvesting smaller species such as anchovies, sardines and krill.
The industrial large scale harvesting of these small creatures is upsetting the ecology of the ocean because large mammals, like whales and the dolphins, are being deprived of their major food source. Harvesting consists of scraping the bottom of the ocean, trapping other species in the nets and killing them off, as well as destroying the ocean flora.
• Calamari is the only source of fish oil that is entirely free from all of the above problems because no other species of fish are caught in the process, yielding virtually zero by-catch; coral reefs and ocean floors are left untouched; maturing quickly and reproducing at an early age, mercury accumulation is drastically minimized.
• Calamari oil is mainly produced from the trimmings of calamari eaten by humans. This is an important point, which means that they are not primarily harvested for their Omega 3 with the rest being wasted, but rather the wasted products from a food source is utilized as a potent source of Omega 3 oil.
Calamari oil is a superior source of Omega 3 oil in all respects. Choosing a brand of calamari oil that is natural, traceable, with no genetic modification and free of contaminants will ensure that you give your body the best available omega 3 fatty acid supplement.
In the United States there are numerous options in terms of brands. In other countries, such as Australia, the range is much more limited with brands such as Bioglan Calamari Gold and Natures Way Golden Calamari being the main options.